Friday, October 24, 2008

Tattoos or not?

I was listening to the radio on the way to school the other day and it made me laugh. They were debating whether tattoo's were a sin or not. Well the verse they used to back up this argument is Leviticus 19:28 "Do not cut your bodies for the dead of put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am Lord." So your first respone is...oh crap now I guess I can't get one. Haha..do your research. I decided to look up the verse well as I read the whole chapter it is a long list of rules and laws for levites. Read it for yourselves but for example...one of them is Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material or do not trim your beard. Well why take only the tattoo verse out? Why are the others just looked over and thought nothing of? Those people who use that verse as their argument against tattoos in my opinion looks like fools because they hold the double standard there. The other thing that is important to remember is that we are no longer bound by the Old Testement laws because of Jesus' blood on the cross.

I still have not decided the right or wrong of tattoos. My first thoughts are that if the reasoning is one of bringing glory to the Lord its okay. In everything we do we are to bring glory to the Lord. But I also know that we are not to be of the world. Where is the boundary? I'm still researching more verses on this. My challenge I guess is to do the research for yourselves, when someone uses a verse, double check it. Check the context, the verses surrounding it. You will find great things.

In everything I want to bring Glory to Your Name. Guide me, Teach me.

No comments: