Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Living a holy life...is it possible?

1 Peter 1: 14-16


"As obedient children, do not confrom to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."




Be holy because I am holy....that is one of the most life alterning verse. God is calling us...no he is commanding us to be holy. So what does this even look like...how to we even come close to living a holy life?  The verse spells it out...number 1."as obedient children" we are to obey, obey God in everything we do.  I think it is so easy for christians to believe they are obeying God. But every day we make choices to disregard God's commands and disobey.  As I think about my day and all the choices I make, I know there are a lot that are disobeying God. Just today for example I was in the WSU parking lot...full of great drivers ;)  Somebody came flying through the lot without stopping and almost hit me...I got upset and called this person an "idiot". That was so wrong. God calls us all to LOVE. That is one of many mistake....one of many times I disobey God. Obediance to God is a daily surrender to Him. Obediance is being filled 24/7 with the Holy Spirit. Obediance is falling humbly on your knees in repentance when you mess up.
The 2nd thing.."do not confrom to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance"  God regenerates are soul...he makes us new creations! "The old has gone the new has come!"  (2 Corinthians 5:17) It's okay to have desires, but when they don't line up with God and His will thats when problems arise. God makes us a new creation....we are to leave are own desires behind and conform to His image..we are to take up our cross and follow Him.

So this is all so easy to say and talk about...the hard part comes when you put it into action.  I know for me my life needs to look radically different if I am to be holy because God is holy. So what are some practical steps we can take to make the move toward holiness?
Number 1: Acknowleding the fact that you need to make changes and that you need God for that.
Number 2: Asking God to show you what is not holy about your life.
Number 3: Getting rid of those things. and replacing them with God things...ie serving, evangelizing, time in the word.

This is not a process that happens over night..nor is it a process that happens only once. This is a continual daily surrender to God and living a holy life. Whether you are a student, a small group leader, friend or stranger, God is calling you to something higher...will you answer His call?

No comments: